Wednesday, February 27, 2013

HEAVY METAL ELITISTS AND THE AUTHORITAY!


I found this note I wrote on facebook some time ago and thought I'd re post it here. Check it out and let me know what you think.

"You must respect my authoritay!!  For real though... Cartman can say it, he's a fucking cartoon..

So in case any of you wondered, I LOVE METAL.. It is in my veins, in my heart.. I like a WIDE array of different types of metal, from power to death to black and everything around and in between.  I like what I like and there need not be any justification for this. There is no arguing taste. It is rare to come across an individual who TRULY respects another's taste in music. I absolutely detest the "YOU SUCK BECAUSE YOU LIKE (FILL IN THE BLANKS)" attitude.  REALLY? Your opinion on what's good could be the complete opposite of the next guys, so get off your elitist high horses and back down to earth for a second.

  I read a post the other day that included the phrase "real metal"  This person implied that because a band has made it to a certain status, suddenly they are sell outs and are no longer "real metal"  Who decides who is real metal? Who is this top secret authority? Maybe it's SATAN, sitting on his throne in his red loin cloth vetoing bands such as OPETH, for example, writing them off, crossing them off the list of "Real Metal" with a thick black sharpie, all because they have risen out of the underground. Awesome.. So success in thie person's book is not making it big, but staying underground.. Alrighty.. Don't get me wrong, I have complete respect for bands who want to stay underground, but to judge someone for making it big is fucking ludicrous and it's all purely based on jealousy whether you choose to admit that or not..
So that being said. there is no authority, your version of what "real metal" is might be completely different from the next persons. No one is any fucking better than anyone else around here. Let's all just rock out and be thankful that people are still listening to the music we all love at all. Whether it be power metal, grind, black metal, death or anything in between.. Fuck it!! Horns High to you all.   Respect my friends, it's all about respect.. "

This also makes me think of all the posts I've seen in the past with people bitching on facebook about people choosing to go to see a national act over a local. Well yeah DUH!!  Why would you miss the opportunity to see one of you favorite bands to go see a local band that plays out every other weekend. You never know what can happen. I'm not saying don't support your local bands, but be real.. I guarantee the same people would pass up a local show any day to see one of their favorite national acts.. Some of the comments lead me to believe that people forget that most every band was once considered just a local band and had to start out at the bottom and I'm sure most fans have no idea the struggles some of these bands had to go through to get where they are today. Again, jealousy is a very unattractive trait on anybody.


No comments:

Post a Comment